Friday, May 30, 2014

Sikaflex the Canopy

Doing an update after a long time! We took some break from the build. I had lots of travel to take care off. Plus we moved to a new house and that took a lot of my time. Glenn and Dennis were gone quite a bit as well.
 
Last few months I have been mostly taking care of small things such as finalizing the manual trim cable, fitting and installing the interior, finalizing the battery compartment, installing the control sticks, tie wrapping the wires in the fuselage etc. These little things take a lot of time and still there is a tonne to do.
 
Once Glenn was back, we decided to get the canopy out of the way. Its really hard for one person to do this, and I am glad I had some help here. The canopy was already fitted and cut. We decided to use sikaflex instead of the traditional vans method. The sikaflex method is somewhat crack-proof (only time will tell).
 
I did some research online and asked questions on VAF. We used Activator, 209 primer and Sikaflex 295UV black. Here are the shots of canopy during the process of scuffing, cleaning, activating and priming: 
 
 

 
 
Same process on the frame as well:
 



 
 
Finally, applying the sikaflex. Applying the sikaflex probably took 30 mins or so, but the prep time was brutal (10 hrs).





No comments:

Post a Comment